A little about this program…
This program has been running successfully since 2007 in the 201V6 District. In 2016 it became a Multiple District project. Each year, more and more Schools, Clubs and Districts are becoming involved. Students really enjoy the program and reap the benefits for years to come. Teachers are enjoying the program and making it part of their class curriculum as it incorporates story writing, research, speaking in front of the class, etc. We have seen quiet, shy students, too timid to speak…stand up and deliver a speech that has simply blown judges away and they have gone on to win the Competition. It’s amazing what this program can do for the kids that participate – not to mention the benefits that Club members receive as well.
Get involved with the YOUTH in your community… YOU’LL reap the benefits as much as they will!
What is the aim of this program?
To give students in Primary Schools the chance to develop their ability to speak in public. This competition is run for primary students in Grades 3, 4, 5 & 6.
Why should Lions Clubs & Schools be involved?
- Similar programs often do not exist in our Primary Schools or are difficult for them to access. This is the case for most isolated schools.
- Young students have an abundance of enthusiasm and self-confidence. This program aims to build on this before they reach teenage years.
- All young students need to build such skills in an environment which encourages them to participate
- It’s a great way for schools to get involved with their local Lions Clubs and for Lions Club to be involved with their local schools and Community.
What skills do Student Develop through this program?
- Students learn to look for information using a number of sources – this may include books, the internet or speaking with family, friends and community members.
- They expand their knowledge and understanding of a particular topic; and
- They gain an ability to organise their thoughts and feelings and then confidently express them to others.
How does the program work?
There are two parts to the program – the main part being the Prepared Speeches. This is for all students. The second part of the program is a Short Preparation Speech and is for years 5 & 6 students ONLY at Club, Zone/Region & District Level.
Prepared Speeches – Students are given a topic and are asked to prepare a speech. Years 3-4 are asked to prepare a 3-minute speech and Year 5-6 are asked to prepare a 4-minute speech. The topic for the prepared speeches is chosen by the District Chairperson.
Short Preparation Speech – As part of the Club, Regional & District level competitions – students in year 5-6 are also given a Short Preparation Speech. They are given a topic and 10 minutes to prepare a 1-minute response to this topic. This has been included at Club, Zone/Regional & District levels, as an added challenge for students who have already shown that they are skilful at preparing and delivering a prepared speech.
There are 4 levels to the competition
School Level Competition – held at each participating school in a Lions area. Run by a club chairperson in conjunction with the school.
Club Level Competition – held at individual Clubs, as part of a dinner meeting or as a separate event. Students representing their individual school/s will compete to become Club Representative.
Zone/Regional Competition – representatives chosen at Club level will compete within their Zone/Region.
District Competition – winners from the Zone/Regional competition will compete at District Level, at a central location in the District.
For more information on how this competition works, please download the JPS Information Sheet.
Chairperson – Margaret Poels
M: 0417 139 828