While World Diabetes Day is held on 14 November 2020, walks and events can be held at any time prior to or on the day. The COVID-19 pandemic has restricted some of our activities, but we believe Lap the Map can be achieved in spite of those challenges. In fact, getting outdoors and being active is more important than ever. We encourage you to think creatively – whether that be walking in small groups, walking at a distance from others, walking on a treadmill or walking solo. Please observe the measures in place in your state, but remember to have some fun too!Read More
Our aim by 14 November 2020 is to move a combined distance that exceeds Australia’s circumference (25,760 kms). Start logging your kilometres now and help us achieve our goal by World Diabetes Day. You can log your KMs by emailing our Diabetes Coordinator Pat Mills at email@example.com or filling out this simple form.Read More
‘Lap the Map’ is one important part of our overall mission to reduce the prevalence of diabetes in Australia. Type 2 Diabetes represents 90% of all cases of diabetes, and can be prevented or delayed in more than half of these cases through making healthy lifestyle choices:
– Regular physical activity
– Maintaining a healthy weight
– Making healthy food choices
– Managing blood pressure
– Managing cholesterol levels
– Not smoking.
It doesn’t matter how far you walk or run, it’s about being involved, getting active and moving together on this critical national project.
– Diabetes is recognised as the world’s fastest growing chronic condition.
– One in 11 adults has diabetes (415 million)
– 12 per cent of global health expenditure is spent on diabetes (USD$673 billion)
– Every six seconds a person dies from diabetes (5.0 million deaths)
– You can check how many diabetics live in your community with this interactive map – https://map.ndss.com.au/#!/
More information for clubs
Information for media
All media enquiries can be sent to the Lions Australia PR Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +61 2 9240 8033.
Current media releases are available here.