Lions Australia Child Safe Policy
Lions Australia members have a wealth of experience and are genuinely altruistic. Lions Australia at all times believe in the principle that the best interest of the child and young person is paramount. We are volunteers who are determined to do the best we can and be the best person we can be.
Lions Australia has adopted a Child Safe Policy governing the operation of our three primary Youth Projects. Leo Clubs, Youth Exchange and Youth of the Year. The policy covers activities controlled at the Multiple District (National) level. We acknowledge child safety is every member’s responsibility. As proud members of Lions Australia we are transparent in our actions and we therefore do not hesitate in upholding the principles as defined in this policy.
Lions Districts and Clubs within Australia are encouraged to adopt similar policies covering District and Club children’s and youth programs.
MD201 Child Safe Policy Click this link to open the policy
Child Safe Policy FAQ Additional explanatory information
Child Safe Policy Awareness Training Package
The video below is provided for Lions Members to explain the Child Safe policy. (Audio and video). The presentation has been prepare by Australian Child Safe Consultancy who assisted with the development of the policy.
Lions operating the three projects covered by the policy should watch this 30 minute webinar. Please note that each State within Australia has different legislation and regulation covering child safety and Lions operating these programs should familiarise themselves with the rules in their state. Links to the required information is included below.
The following links take you to the website of each State agency responsible for Child Safety as well as other resources. Please alert the Lions National Office to out-of-date links.
- ACT – Child and Youth Protection Services
- NSW – NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian
- Northern Territory – Working with Children Clearance
- Queensland – Blue Card Services
- Victoria – Working with Children’s Check
- South Australia – Department of Community Services Screening Unit
- Tasmania – Working with Vulnerable people
- Western Australia – Working with Children Check
- Child Safe Organisations project team at the Human Rights Commission
- Child Safe Organisations — National Principles Video
- Lions Australia National Office Newcastle. Tel:- (02) 4940 8033
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- Life Line 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
- Or contact your Local Area Health Service for more information.