Lions Clubs in Port Macquarie NSW are marking the organisation’s 100th anniversary with two special projects – building a paediatric therapy playground at the Port Macquarie Base Hospital and upgrading the Gaol Point Park and coastal viewing platform.
LIONS BUILD CHILDREN’S PAEDIATRIC THERAPY PLAYGROUND AT PORT BASE HOSPITAL
In conjunction with businesses in Port Macquarie, the Tacking Point Lions Club has built a state of the art children’s therapy playground at Port Macquarie Base Hospital.
A Lions Centennial Legacy Project, the playground will be opened on July 7 2017 by local NSW Member for Parliament, Leslie Williams.
The children’s playground will be used by medical staff to ascertain the performance of children under the care of the paediatric section of the hospital.
It was specifically designed to offer medical staff an ideal clinical environment to observe children in a natural state of play, while catering for their physical and emotional needs.
The project was valued at $70,000, and funded by the Port Macquarie business community and a grant from the State Government.
GAOL POINT PARK GETS A FACELIFT
In partnership with Hastings Council and the local community, Tacking Point Lions and Port Macquarie Lions have extended the Lions Park at Gaol Point to include a viewing platform along the cliff edge, complete with a large granite ‘toposcope’ embedded in the platform.
The toposcope indicates the starting point and direction to take to obtain the shortest route to specific locations around the world, and has been engraved with “Lions Clubs International: celebrating 100 years of Lions – 1917 to 2017”.
Different to a compass, the toposcope depicts a route that is elliptical in shape and allows for the curvature of the Earth.
Gaol Point was the site of an original convict prison in 1822. With the significant upgrade of the entire site by Lions, it has been transformed into one of the Mid North Coast’s most iconic viewing platforms.
The total cost of the project was $139,000, with the majority of funds raised by the local community and the toposcope donated by the Australian Lions Foundation.