Lions International Stamp Club
Members can participate in activities such as Stamp Exchange and Used Stamp Collection Programs for charitable and community service, New Issue Services or just the collection of Stamps and First day Covers which bear the Lions emblem.
The Australian Chapter of Lions International Stamp Club (LISC) issues a cachet at each Australian (MD201) convention, with stamps usually cancelled with an official Australia Post cancellation.
Some of the current service projects are:
- Stamps for the Wounded Program (USA)
- Lions Childrens Mobility Foundation (Australia)
- Lions Schools Projects in South Africa, Australia, Canada and Netherlands
- Eye Camp Sponsorship and Special Olympics Sponsorship( U.K.Lions)
- Catholic Mission at Burkina Faso( Italy Lions)
The LISC was formed at the International Convention in Atlantic City in 1951 by dedicated Lions with a common bond of Lionism and Philately. Melvin Jones, the founder of Lionism, was an avid stamp collector and a charter member of LISC.
The purpose of LISC is to foster and develop the hobby of stamp collecting among Lions and their families, Leos and Lionesses, and to strengthen Lionism through International Goodwill.
LISC has a Constitution and Policy which governs its activities, together with elected officers and committees to carry out its projects and goals. It is an affiliate organisation of Lions Clubs International with its annual meeting held each year during the International Convention.
Membership is open to any Lion in good standing ,with Associate membership for any immediate family member of a Lion, Leo or Lioness.
Over 100 countries have issued postage stamps with the Lions logo in recognition of Lions Club activities in their countries.The first Lions stamp was issued by Cuba in1940 at the 24th International convention in Havana.
There are over 400 members of LISC worldwide and each receive a quarterly newsletter “The Philatelist” which includes articles on Lions stamps and covers together with many offers to members. An Annual Roster lists all members names, addresses and philatelic interests. Each year a Commemorative Cachet is issued and a limited issue LISC Trading Pin is struck.
Local Chapters of LISC have been formed in many states of the USA and Canada as well as Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Brazil, Italy, Netherlands and United Kingdom and Ireland.
All these Chapters are actively involved in charitable and community service projects as well as the hobby of stamp collecting and always uphold the Lions International motto “We Serve”.
The Australian Chapter is always seeking new and used postage stamps, philatelic material AND unwanted collections which are sorted and sold at auction with all proceeds donated to the Australian Lions Childrens Mobility Foundation. Please clip around the used stamps, leaving no less than 1/8″ and no more than 1/4″ around the stamp and send them to your nearest co-ordinator. In the N & Q Districts, to Ross Paine, the V,C and T Districts to Graham McKenzie and W Districts to Max Lurie, 164A Moulden Avenue, Yokine. 6060. This project has raised in excess of $22500 for ALCMF in the past 9 years and continues to grow with $4600 handed over at the most recent Multiple District Convention.
If you would like further information, refer also to the LISC website www.lisc.nl
- Members receive a quarterly comprehensive newsletter, “The Philatelist” which includes many stories on Lions Stamps and Covers together with offers to members.
- Members receive an annual roster. A full listing of all members, their addresses and full details of their philatelic interests.
- A Commemorative Cachet is issued at each international convention.
- A limited issue LISC trading pin is struck each year with members having first offer to purchase.
- Australian members have always been prominent with four of our number rising to the position of International President of LISC.
- A used stamp project has yielded over 4 tonne of stamps since being established at the International Convention in Brisbane in 1991. The current beneficiary of our stamps is the Australian Lions Children’s Mobility Foundation.
Further details from:-
10 Balgownie Drive, Peregian Springs 4573.
Ph 07 5448 1592 email@example.com
PO Box 4 Trafalgar VIC 3824
Phone 03 5633 1252 or Mobile 0400 104 058 firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the Secretary, Ross Paine email@example.com
or download the application form below and send it to:
10 Balgownie Drive,Peregian Springs, Queensland 4573
|Application FormThis link takes you to the Lions International Stamp Club website joining page|