An international refugee crisis is unfolding before our eyes. Hundreds of thousands of men, women and children from Syria and parts of Iraq flee violence in their homeland, seeking safety in Europe. Many European nations have agreed to take in refugees, but some governments are not equipped to handle the massive influx of people – most carrying with them what’s left of their worldly goods in one or two suitcases. International aid organizations have responded. Along with federal governments, agencies such as United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is taking the lead, setting up refugee camps and organizing aid and support. Lions Clubs International is providing assistance as well.
- Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF) has provided grants to support refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon.
- At the 2015 International Convention in Honolulu, we honored Save The Children with our Humanitarian Award, providing US$250,000 specifically for refugee camps inside Syria.
- International President Yamada has challenged Lions in all countries that have taken in refugees to contact their local and federal government to offer assistance.
- IP Yamada has also challenged Lions in other nations to contact Lions in the countries hosting refugees. There may be opportunities to provide support through international joint service projects.
- Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF) is accepting donationsto a designated fund. Send your donation to your nearest Lions Club who will forward your donation to their District Cabinet Treasurer for banking into the LCIF account. 100% of every donated dollar goes in Grants to Lions Clubs at the coal-face helping the refugeees to rebuild their lives.
A solution to the Syrian refugee situation falls upon governments around the world to solve through diplomatic measures and mutual cooperation.
Until a solution is found, Lions are focused on the displaced refugees and how we, as Lions, can help provide basic necessities and bring dignity to those in need.
Lions Clubs International Foundation