Lions International Peace Poster & Essay Contest
For over three decades, Lions clubs around the globe have been sponsoring a very special art contest in schools and youth groups. Creating peace posters gives children everywhere the chance to express their visions of peace and inspire the world through art and creativity. The Peace Essay Contest was created to provide an opportunity for visually impaired young people to express their feelings of peace and is, along with the Peace Poster Contest, a staple of Lions clubs around the world.
To sponsor the Peace Poster Contest, Lions clubs can order a contest kit from January 15 to October 1. A kit is needed for each contest sponsored. Clubs can purchase kits from the Lions Australia Club Supplies Store.
Each kit contains:
- Official Club Contest Guide and Rules
- Official School or Youth Group Contest Guide and Rules
- Participant Flyer to duplicate and give to participating students to take home
- Sticker to place on back of winning poster
- Certificates for contest winner and school or youth group
Thank you to the judging panel: Council Chair Chris Howard, IPP Jessica Wescott – founding member Brimbank Leos Club and Lawyer, Marjory Gardner – Author and Illustrator, Jean McAuslan – Director of Access and Learning, Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance.
Thank you to Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance for support and contribution and to all Lions Clubs, Districts, Schools/Youth Groups and young people that participated in this year’s Lions International Peace Poster Contest.
Winners MD201 2018:
2018 National Winner
2018 Highly Commended
To find out more, contact your local Lions Club or visit the links below:
| 1. Overview | 2. Contest Peace Theme, Rules and Conditions | 3. Judging | 4. Forwarding Winning Peace Poster to next level of judging | 5. Acknowledgement, Encouragement, Awards | 6. Promoting Peace | 7. Timeline | 8. Benefits for Youth | 9. Chairpersons | 10. Contest Kits | 11. Galleries |
Lions International Peace Poster Contest 2019 – 2020
“Journey of Peace”
The Lions International Peace Poster Contest is one of many Lions Clubs International Youth Programs that aim to provide opportunities for self-development, education, contribution and achievement for young people.
The Contest presents a unique, enjoyable and enriched educational experience for youth and an enrichment of school curriculum areas of learning, creating, communicating, technology and achievement and contributes to further development of artistic and writing skill, self-expression and personal growth; sharing ideas and messages of peace and acknowledging youth positive efforts and achievements.
Youth who are 11, 12 or 13 years of age by 15th November are eligible to participate.
Each year more than 600,000 young people from many countries around the world participate in the Contest – since the initial Contest in 1988, more than 6 million youth in schools and youth groups have enthusiastically applied creative skills, attention to Contest Peace Theme, Rules and Criteria to express individual visions of peace and in their colourful peace posters and quotes on peace.
Lions Clubs worldwide sponsor schools and youth groups e.g. YMCA, Scouts, Guides and other organised youth groups for the Contest. A Lioness Club may sponsor a Contest through its sponsoring Lions Club. Members of a Leo Group may participate in the LIPP/EC through their school’s or community youth group’s participation in the Contest.
- Youth who are 11, 12 or 13 years of age by 15th November of year of Contest.
- Each year the Contest features a specific Peace Theme. The Peace Theme for 2019-20 Lions International Peace Poster Contest is “Journey of Peace”
- One entry per student and each entry work of only one student
- Art work must be individual student’s original creation – no duplicates are accepted
- Art paper: to be flexible material so that it can be rolled up for mailing tube.
- Do not fold poster
- Art work size: N0 smaller than 33cm x 50cm (13inch x 20 inch), No larger than 50cm x 60cm (20 inch x 24 inch)
- Do not mat, frame or laminate art work
- All media accepted – note: chalk, charcoal and pastel entries should be sealed with a fixative spray to prevent smearing.
- Three-dimensional entries are not accepted
- Nothing may be glued, stapled or attached to the art work in any way.
- The use lettering in any language or numbering on the front of the poster, in any language, is not allowed.
- All artists initials or signatures can be written on the back of the poster (upper right or left side of art work)
- Participants accept all responsibility for late, loss, misdirected or illegible entries. Entries sent with insufficient postage will be disqualified. Lions Clubs International is not responsible for entries damaged destroyed or lost during the judging process. International Entries – cannot be acknowledged or returned, they become the property of Lions Clubs International upon receipt. Peace Poster images cannot be used without written permission from Lions Clubs International.
- In consideration for the opportunity to enter the Peace Poster Contest, participants agree to allow Lions Clubs International to use their names and photographs for promotional and publicity purposes. In addition, the International Grand Prize Winner, two family members (one being a parent or legal guardian) and the sponsoring club president or a club member (as designated by the sponsoring club president) are required to attend an Award Ceremony on Lions Day at the United Nations (subject to change). An International Grand Prize winner is not eligible to receive subsequent prizes in future Peace Poster Contests sponsored by Lions Club International. By entering, participants agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges and Lions International.
- Lions Clubs International may cancel the contest without notice at any time. The contest is void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law.
Judging of Peace Posters is conducted at several levels – Club, District, Multiple District and International
Judges/Judging Panel – an appropriate individual such as the school principal, youth group leader, local artist, club representative or a panel of judges select winning peace poster.
Suggestions for Club and District judging
Club Level – judges select 1 Winning Peace Poster and 2 Honourable Mention Peace Posters
District level – judges select 1 Winning Peace Poster and 1 Honourable Mention Peace Poster
At Multiple District – judges select 1 Winning Peace Poster and 1 Highly Commended
At International level, panel of judges select 24 finalists – 1 Grand Prize Winner and 23 Merit Award Achievers.
Peace Posters selected to advance to the next level of judging must meet all the requirements as outline in the Contest Rules, Conditions and evaluated on level of Originality, Artistic Merit and Expression of Peace Theme – this year’s Contest Peace Theme is “Journey of Peace”.
After the winning peace poster is selected, it must be prepared and forwarded for the next level of judging. Clubs that sponsor more than 1 school/youth group must have purchased 1 Kit per school or youth group sponsored e.g. a Club which is sponsoring 3 schools will need to have purchased 3 kits (1 per school) and therefore will have 3 winning peace posters (1 winner per school) to forward to next level of judging.
Each Winning Peace Poster must have a Winner Sticker placed on the back of the Peace Poster at the bottom right hand corner. Completion of details as follows:
Section 1 – to be completed by school, parent/guardian/student, QUOTE ON PEACE: student’s quote on peace written by student.
Section 2 – Completed by Club President.
Section 3 – Completed by District Governor
Section 4 – Completed by Multiple District Council Chairperson
Please follow directions on Winner Sticker. #Posters without completed Winner Sticker will be disqualified. Reproduction of Sticker is not permitted.
Peace Posters much meet deadlines as set out in LIPP/EC Timeline – please see Timeline.
The Lions International Peace Poster Contest is not only about the promotion of world peace and international understanding and increasing awareness and improved attitude towards others; the Contest is also about encouraging youth to perform at personal best, it acknowledges youths’ positive efforts and achievements and generates increase of self-esteem and confidence in youth so that they may meet further challenges.
Certificates, Prizes, Award Presentations:
The Lions International Peace Poster Kit has an Achievement Certificate for the Winner and a Certification of Appreciation which is to be presented by Lions Club to the school/youth group. The Honourable Mention Certificate – click here to downloaded.
Clubs and Districts may organise prizes for Winners and Honourable Mention achievers and organise a special award ceremony/presentation. Clubs and Districts may wish to arrange with schools/youth groups to visit school/youth group for award presentation or alternatively, Clubs and Districts may wish to invite youth, families and school/youth group representatives to Club or District award presentation.
The Certificate of Participation is to acknowledge, encourage and reward all young people that participate in the Lions International Peace Poster/Essay Contest and complete/submit a peace poster or essay for judging at Club level. The Certificate of Participation– click here to downloaded.
Grand Prize Winner receives a trip to an award ceremony where he/she receives $5,000 (or equivalent) and an award. Two family members (one being the winner’s parent or legal guardian) and the sponsoring Lions Club President or Club member (as designated by Club President) will accompany the winner to the award ceremony. 23 Merit Award achievers receive US$500 and Certificate of Achievement.
The message of world peace and international understanding is promoted throughout the world through displays of Peace Posters, Quotes of Peace and Essays in schools, youth groups and local communities and social media worldwide. Lions Clubs and Districts promote Contest – Clubs and District website and other media, local newspaper and organize local peace poster and essay displays.
January 15 2019: LIPP/EC Kits go on sale from Club Supplies Sales Department at International Headquarters. Kits usually arrive at Lions Australia Supplies Store end January/early February.
October 1 2019: Deadline to purchase Kits from the Club Supplies Sales Department at International Headquarters
November 15 2019: Deadline for a CLUB to send 1 Winning Peace Poster/Essay per school/youth group sponsored to District Governor. Note: Club must notify District Governor in advance of their participation
*December 1 2019: Deadline for DISTRICT GOVERNOR to send 1 winning Peace Poster to Multiple District Council Chairperson.
*December 15 2019: Deadline for MULTIPLE DISTRICT COUNCIL CHAIRPERSON to send 1 winning Peace Poster to Public Relations at International Headquarters.
*February 1 2020: International Winners will be notified on or before this date. Note: Entries that do not meet deadlines will be disqualified.
Participation in the Lions International Peace Poster and Essay Contest has many benefits for young people. Participation provides the opportunity to –
- Participate in International Contest
- Use artistic/writing skills and acquired knowledge to express personal ideas/views and to create an individual, original artwork or essay
- Gain increased confidence, motivation, self-esteem and encouragement to undertake other challenges – especially when young people view their art work/essays on display in schools, youth group venues, local community and media and receive praise and acknowledgement for their personal best efforts and output.
- Increase awareness and understanding about importance of world peace and international understanding and respect/tolerance towards other people and cultures.
- C1 Helen Martin 08 8853 2183 or 0417 846 910 email@example.com
- C2 Theresa Andrew 08 8582 4638 or 0417 454 963 firstname.lastname@example.org
- N1 Kel Kearns 0439 427 822 email@example.com
- N2 Nicola Gray 0404 391 136 firstname.lastname@example.org
- N3 please contact Youth Project Group Chairperson John Mulhearn – 0488 329 696 email@example.com
- N4 Neil Lambert 0459 760 320 firstname.lastname@example.org
- N5 Mark Sing 0422 403 687 or 02 9401 4942 email@example.com
- Q1 Beverley Drydale 0405 496 922 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Q2 Peter Phillips 0437 391 281 or 07 4777 1248 email@example.com
- Q3 Desley Kelso 07 3851 3249 or 0412 097 670 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Q4 Frank Douglas 07 4928 7960 or 0411 634 650 email@example.com
- T1 Dawn Gatehouse 03 6265 2366 or 0438 652 366 firstname.lastname@example.org
- V1-4 Helen Campbell PDG 0419 586 262 email@example.com
- V2 Tricia Hull 03 9398 6196 or 0410 637 092 firstname.lastname@example.org
- V3 Kerrie McMahon 0405 956 800 email@example.com
- V5 TBA
- V6 Neil Campbell PDG 03 5721 5803 firstname.lastname@example.org
- W1 Mal Miskelly 08 9243 1303 or 0409 680 811 email@example.com
- W2 Jane Oversby 0427 673 002 firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Lions International Peace Poster/Essay Contest kits
The Lions International Peace Poster/Essay Contest Kits contents include –
- Official Club Contest Guide and Rules (PPC-1)
- Official School or Youth Group Contest Guide and Rules (PPC-2)
- Participant Flyer (PP-3) flyer may be duplicated and given to each participating student to take home.
- Winner Sticker (PPC-4) sticker is information form and is to be place on the back of the Winning peace poster.
- Certificates x 2 – 1 for Contest Winner (PPC-5) and 1 for sponsored school or youth group (PPC-6)
Note: forward only the Official School or Youth Group Contest and the Participation Flyer (PPC-3) to your Club’s contact at the school or youth group. The Club retains all other items in the Kit.
|Peace Poster Resources|
|Peace Poster Brochure for Clubs|
|Honourable Mention Certificate|
|Certificate of Participation|
Where are they now: Danielle Herandez Petry.
See how winning the Lions International Peace Poster Contest impacted one young woman during a critical age and how she is paying it forward today.
Clubs purchase Kits from Lions Australia Club Supplies Store –
Online Club Supplies: www.lionsclubsshop.com.au